Investors from China, Russia, Arabic countries, Spain, South Korea and Japan were there, many of whom felt honored to be part of history and showed confidence in TRON.
Justin Sun, the founder of TRON, announced that TRON Odyssey 2.0 accumulated 2,153 commits, merged 547 forks, released 15 software iterations, and added 102 new features.
After 384 unit tests that ensure code security, 461 function tests and a stringent code review, Odyssey 2.0 is complete as planned on May 31 and available on Github for everyone to download.
Then Sun updated the progress of TRON:
- With a consistent trade volume of between USD 500M – USD 1B, TRON has stabilized in the top 5 of most traded cryptos. TRX has been listed on 50 mainstream exchanges worldwide, activated 100+ trading pairs, covering 30 countries and regions.
- The first version of TRON’s virtual machine version was launched on May 25. In the initial stages, it is fully compatible with the Ethereum VM, allowing Ethereum developers to use Solidity and other programming languages to develop, debug and compile smart contracts in a familiar Remix environment. The official TVM version will be launched on July 31, at which time developers will be able to fully utilize the VM to build applications that are on a whole other level than Ethereum. This will mark the start of a high-performance, decentralized ecosystem.
TRON has a variety of reward programs for developers that include TRON Accelerator, hackathons and programming competitions, totaling up to USD 2B in rewards. This is unprecedented in the industry, both in terms of reward pool and program features.
These programs have attracted 42 teams from 14 countries/regions and hundreds of developers to participate in TRON’s Programming Competition, which had a reward pool in the millions. Together, they developed 16 blockchain explorers and 43 wallets for different platform.
Justin Sun’s personal Twitter account has 448k followers, while TRON Foundation has 300k, with over 50M total monthly impressions. There are 3.82M TRON-related videos on YouTube. Followers on Weibo, WeChat and other China-based social media are abundant.
Starting from less than 60 in early 2018, TRON has expanded to a global team of 200, with an average of 1 hire per day. The employees come from mainstream Internet companies like Alibaba, Tencent and Facebook, and are incredibly diverse, hailing from 7 countries distributed across 4 continents.
It will continue growing in Q3 and expect to exceed 500 by yearend and 1,000 in 2018. TRON will be the fastest growing blockchain team in the world, and more importantly, one of the largest, most diverse teams out there today.
A successful mainnet launch opens the door to an independent TRON Protocol. On June 25, TRON will complete mainnet token migration and shed its identity as an ERC20 token, becoming one of the most competitive mainstream public blockchains in the world. This is a milestone for TRON and heralds a new stage of development for the foundation.
As Lucien Chen, CTO of TRON, said on this conference: Crypto-time goes ten times faster than Greenwich-time, but TRON-time goes ten times faster than Crypto-time. In this critical moment of Mainnet launch, Chen emphasized the token migration that would going to happen on June 25 and detailed about its significance:
- The TPOS algorithm makes TRON dozens of times faster than Ethereum, measured by TPS;
- The bandwidth-based mode in transfer demands practically zero fees, compared to wasteful gas burning of Ethereum;
- Super Representatives of TRON are elected by universal suffrage thanks to its TPOS algorithm, an optimized variant of DPOS consensus mechanism, while the POW-based Ethereum shuts common users off who cannot afford the costs of democracy.
The CTO also encouraged developers and supporters to participate in the first TRON-Devcon which would take place in San Francisco towards the end of this year.
Marcus Zhao, director of Blockchain R&D, acknowledged that the tech team worked really hard for this day since the launch of testnet, and thanked everyone of TRON for their devotions. Here’s what’s new about Odyssey 2.0:
- The TRON protocol is extensively improved, and many features are added for realizing a TPS much higher than TRON testnet.
- Block synchronization and find node modules are optimized for the sake of stability and responsiveness. Compared to testnet, only a third of time is needed to synchronize blocks.
- Disk I/O is cut by more than a half with optimized parameters and architecture of the storage layer.
- The on-chain token model is re-designed, offering an upgraded TDP platform with many new features and a more elaborate TRC20 standard. New features include the bandwidth-based mode in transfer, vote freeze and token creation.
- Many new blockchains and wallets are now supported, according to suggestions of community developers.
Zhao announced that the next major upgrade, Odyssey 3.0 would come in Q3, featuring VM adaption layer that would support hot-add/hot-plug and allow for smart contract developed on the mainnet directly. Even more features are going to be available on Q4, for example, multi signatures and Byzantine fault tolerance, or BFT.
At the same time, the P2P network of TRON will be published as a free-fare and free-standing module.
In Q1 2019, TRON will begin sharding, which means that what one powerful super-full node does now can be split and shared among several clients on some lower level. In this way, the stability and reliability will be greatly enhanced for the often-overwhelmed super-full nodes.
Haoqi Zhao, as a product director, introduced the progress of TRON’s programming contests. 42 teams from 14 countries/regions submitted 16 blockchain explorers and 43 wallets, and each platform got some fascinating candidates.
As two teams have received funds from TRON Foundation, that is Marius Gill from Germany and Gtty/IO from Brazil, more are expected to be rewarded in the future.
After the Mainnet launch, everyone is invited to try and report bugs from the 1st to 24th of June, and bounties will be rewarded based on how fat the bugs they catch. TRON will massively invest in fostering ecosystem and hold various DApp reward programs in H2, like Hackathon and MeetUP.
With the continuous development of TVM, TRON Accelerator will reward more excellent DApps and developers.
TRON Foundation believes that the only basis for a healthy decentralized ecosystem is an active and open developer community. That’s why TRON has been committed to inclusiveness and will continue to do so.
The speech of Wendy Yi, another product director, highlighted the redesigned website of TRON, which has five sections as the result of extensive researches:
- Block Explorer
- TRX Market Performance
- Press Release
What’s more, red is chosen over navy blue as the new theme color of homepage because red represents TRON’s culture of passion, dedication, exploration and persistence.
Wendy also talked about the “DApp” page where users could explore TRON DApps submitted by their developers and reviewed by TRON staff. 9 DApps are available and live now.
With the released TRON Wallet, users can vote for super representatives, make transactions and collections, issuing digital certificates and checking on chains. What’s more, the cold wallet setup has been incorporated to guarantee transaction safety.
In the infinitely expansive and exciting world of blockchain, TRON aims high yet walks steadily. Let’s wait for June 25, the Independence Day of TRON.