Eugenia graduated from Minsk State Linguistic University with a degree in Intercultural Communication, Translation/Interpretation (Italian, English). Currently she works as a business analyst, freelance interpreter and tutor. She’s fond of numismatics, photos, good books and sports, adores travelling and cooking.
Bitcoin’s drawbacks and advantages were discussed during Paypal’s TechXploration speaker series in Town Hall auditorium, San Jose (CA).
Lorne Lantz, a developer, bitcoin entrepreneur, educator, and technical contributor for Andreas Antonopoulos’ book ‘Mastering Bitcoin’ led the talk: “Money is just the first app for bitcoin. Just like email was the first app for the Internet.”
The PayPal TechXploration is promoting the O’Reilly ‘Bitcoin & the Blockchain’ Summit which will take place on January 27, 2015, at Fort Mason in San Francisco (check the video above to know 5 reasons why you should go to this summit).
According to Ben Lorica, Director of Content Strategy at O’Reilly, Bitcoin has been chosen as the topic of the Summit because it is still widely misconstrued but has the capacity to disrupt a lot of industries.
The one-day event’s chairs are Lorne Lantz and Kieren James-Lubin, founding director of the Cryptocurrency Research Group. The summit will feature bitcoin and the blockchain most brilliant minds who will give a glimpse of the future sharing their experience and revealing some secrets.
The agenda of the summit will include a number of bright speakers such as (other reasons why you should go to the summit see in the video above):
- Reid Hoffman, a co-founder of LinkedIn, an accomplished financier and an investor, whose participation in creating of many outstanding consumer technology businesses is quite important;
- Balaji Srinivasan, an entrepreneur, an academic, a co-founder and CTO of Counsyl, where he created a new pre-pregnancy genomic test for a wide range of heritable illnesses;
- Tim O’Reilly, a founder and CEO of O’Reilly Media, a partner at O’Reilly AlphaTech Ventures, a founder and a board member of Maker Media and Safari Books Online, a publisher and an investor trying to change the world spreading innovation and knowledge;
- Peter Todd, a full-time Bitcoin consultant known for his work for such projects as Viacoin, Mastercoin, Counterparty, etc;
- Andreas M. Antonopoulos, a technologist, an entrepreneur and one of the most well-known figures in bitcoin. He’s a brilliant public speaker, a teacher and a writer. Being an experienced advisor, he helps startups evaluate and navigate business and safety threats.
Participants of TechXploration discussed the ways bitcoin transactions are confirmed and importance of cryptography in that process.
During the discussion, Lantz stressed the fact that “the power behind bitcoin is the blockchain”, and promoted bitcoin as a good instrument with cash-like qualities and lower fees. One of the big drawbacks Lantz stated was the integration of bitcoin into the existing point-of-sale systems that is often difficult to run.
As for PayPal, the company has already used its Payments Hub to integrate online bitcoin payments.
To sum up the points made in discussion, Lorne Lantz said that bitcoin innovating online payments – PayPal’s main business – can be seen as a positive sign for bitcoin enthusiasts and its wider assumption.